With more than 13 million tractor trailers in operation throughout the United States, chances are you share the road with them during your daily travels.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a big rig, a Syracuse, NY, 18-wheeler accident attorney should be one of your first calls.
Follow these steps to ensure all necessary information and evidence are collected, especially if you were injured:
- Call the police so an official incident report can be filed.
- Check to be sure everyone involved is okay and provide first aid to anyone in need.
- Take pictures of the scene from several different angles, as well as the vehicles involved, traffic, and weather conditions. Take close-up photos of any damage to your vehicle or other property, and photograph injuries – if you are able.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. Collect contact information from all passengers involved in the accident and any eyewitnesses.
- Notify your insurance company. When talking to claims adjusters, but don’t offer a detailed account, just stick to the basic facts.
Legal Advice From An Injury Law Firm in Syracuse NY
Above all, a trucking accident attorney will advise you not to apologize or imply the incident was your fault, even if you think it was. A simple “I’m sorry” can be misinterpreted as accepting blame for the accident. Statements such as this can complicate the matter if you were injured and plan to seek compensation for your medical bills and lost wages.
If you have found yourself facing an uphill battle to receive compensation, contact an experienced Syracuse tractor trailer lawyer for help.
When you seek compensation for injuries sustained during an accident with a big rig, you must prove the truck driver was negligent or at fault for the collision. Even if eyewitness testimonials or police reports point to the tractor trailer driver’s fault, the case isn’t closed. An attorney who is experienced in personal injury law can help you prove your case.
Settlement vs. Trial
Many victims of an accident don’t fully understand their rights and may accept a settlement offer for a fast lump-sum payment, not knowing the amount is well below what they are owed. Unlike insurance companies, an experienced lawyer will have your best interest at heart and will be dedicated to helping you collect the money you deserve.
Find Tractor Trailer Injury Legal Firms Near Me In Syracuse
State laws differ when it comes to trucking. You need a big rig lawyer in Syracuse who understands in the area, travels the roads, and is familiar with the rules and regulations of the state. An attorney with experience in New York tractor trailer accidents will know what to look out for and can close any loopholes a less-experienced attorney might have overlooked.
Experienced Help From Big Rig Accident Law Firms In Syracuse New York
At The O’Brien Firm, we are more than qualified to help if you or a loved one has been involved in a tractor trailer accident. With 35 years of experience, O’Brien has helped past clients settle contently and fairly. O’Brien believes in legal counsel regardless of the current circumstance and asks for payment only if you receive a favorable settlement.
If you have questions, contact our team. Fill out the form on our website or call us at (716) 907-7777.